1.10.2011

A Functioning Wardrobe

Just this past weekend I took on the grueling task of reorganising my completely unorganized closet. It had gotten to the point where I felt like I was wearing the same things over and over again because I couldn't find anything else and was, quite frankly, scared to dig any deeper into the mess to find something new. After spending more that 4 hours on this little endeavor I decided that this post was in order. Now, I know I'm not the only one out there suffering from messy closet disease so don't try to pretend this doesn't apply to you. I've compiled a few simple tips that will help to clean up some of that mess and reorganize your wardrobe. If I can do it, than so can you.


Clearing out
The only way to get to the bottom of everything is to clear your closet out completely. This way you have sort of a fresh start with nothing in way to hold you back. My closet hasn't looked this empty since before I moved in.


Sorting Through It All
The new step is to sort through every item you own. Make separate piles for each category: Blouses, tees, tanks, pants, jeans, skirts, dresses...you get the picture. The piles will become the different sections in your closet. Categorizing clothes makes it 1000 times easier to find the piece you need.


Trash...Donation...Who Knows
Grab a couple of trash bags and one old shopping bag. After you have made all of your piles, go through each one and pick out anything you don't like. If it's ripped, stained or just plain nasty throw it in the trash bag of clothes to dispose of. Basically, anything that isn't able to be donated. Anything that is in good condition but you just don't like/wear/need/whatever your reason maybe toss it in the second trash bag. These items will be off to the nearest donation center whether it's Goodwill or the Salvation Army. Chances are you will run across a few items that you don't want but can't seem to part ways with. This is a huge problem for me but I finally found a solution to this common issue. Instead of donating it right away fold it up & store it in the old shopping bag. Parting with it now will only induce a panic attack so don't donate is just yet. When you are finished, take the bag of unsure clothes and hide it somewhere like under your bed. Set a calender date to come back and check on it in about 3 months. If you find anything in there that you truly missed then obviously it's worth keeping. More than likely though you will have forgotten all about it and it's off to donation
Unsure Items

Bags for Goodwill

Putting It All Back
You can all breath easy now, the hard part is out of the way. All that's left to do is putting the everything back. Do you remember those nice piles we made earlier. Well, now it's time to go back to them and do a bit of sub-organizing. If you're anything like me, you'll want to arrange each section by color/size/style/all of the above. Once you are finished with that, you're ready to hang everything back up! I personally put my clothes back in a very particular order. Tops go by sleeve length in one corner and pants go by length in another and jeans are folded up and piled together. Anything like gym clothes, undergarments, socks etc should be folded up and placed in drawers.
Tops

Bottoms, Dresses & Sweaters

Boxes of Bags & a Pile of Jeans
All the Little Things
How you store your accessories if all about personal preference. I keep big things like hats, scarves, bags, and belts in boxes/drawers. Shoes either go on my hanging shoe rack or on a shelf (depending on size). Jewelry is all kept on top of my dresser in little boxes. I hang my necklaces so they wont get tangled although I am looking for the perfect jewelry tree.






I hope this helps!!


xoxo, Tiff



1 comment:

Kathleen said...

omg this is JUST what i needed!! i'm right now just about to organize my closet and came across this post from you! thanks so much Tiff for this :) def following the guidelines hehe. but also will add a bag to sell on my blog shop and chic swap with my friends :).

ALSO, look out for an email soon regarding the Pay It Forward 2011 project! :)

<3, Kathleen.